In our unequal, insecure world, Learning Life’s Citizen Diplomacy Initiative (CDI) engages lower-income American families in live dialogues and project collaborations with lower-income families in other nations to nurture more caring, capable global citizens. One of the funnest, most social ways to support CDI is by hosting what we call a “Diplomacy Dessert.”
Diplomacy Dessert hosts volunteer to invite their friends, family and/or colleagues to their home on a weekend afternoon for 2-3 hours to learn about and discuss CDI. Diplomacy Dessert participants donate $25 minimum per person to Learning Life to attend the event. In exchange, participants get the opportunity to meet new people, learn about and discuss an innovative international education program, and enjoy sweets the host provides. In some cases, the event can include a live dialogue via Skype with one of CDI’s families abroad to experience first-hand the dialogues in which our CDI families engage.
You don’t have to live in or around Washington DC, where Learning Life is based, to host a Diplomacy Dessert. We can present to your group via Skype if you have a high-speed internet connection at your home.
Hosting a Diplomacy Dessert is pretty simple, and can be summarized in five steps:
- Create a list of friends, family and/or colleagues you would like to invite to your Diplomacy Dessert. At least ten people should RSVP their plans to attend for the event to occur, so set your list size as you see fit to meet that minimum.
- Consult with Learning Life staff to set a date and time for your Diplomacy Dessert.
- Send out the event invitation at least two weeks in advance, with 1-2 reminders until the event. We can take care of this for you via Evite.
- Buy whatever desserts or sweets you think your guests will enjoy.
- Enjoy your Diplomacy Dessert! Learning Life’s founder, Paul Lachelier, will lead the presentation (including photos, video, and/or live dialogue) and discussion in person or via Skype depending on where you live, so you can focus on your guests.
Interested in hosting a Diplomacy Dessert? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support!