Support Learning Life: Host a Diplomacy Dessert
In our unequal, insecure world, Learning Life’s Family Diplomacy Initiative (FDI) connects families online across borders to nurture peace and more caring, capable global citizens. One of the most fun and social ways to support FDI is by hosting what we call a “Diplomacy Dessert.”
Diplomacy Dessert hosts invite their friends, family and/or colleagues to their home on a weekend afternoon for about three hours to socialize, enjoy dessert, and learn about FDI. To attend the event, Diplomacy Dessert participants donate a minimum dollar amount per person (e.g., $25, $50, or else — you set the amount) paid before the event by cash or check made out to Learning Life. When possible, and if the host likes, the event can include a live internet dialogue with one of our foreign families abroad.
You don’t have to live in or around Washington DC, where Learning Life is based, to host a Diplomacy Dessert. We can present to your group live online via Facebook or Skype if you have a high-speed internet connection at your home.
Hosting a Diplomacy Dessert is pretty simple, and can be summarized in five steps:
- Create a list of friends, family and/or colleagues you would like to invite to your Diplomacy Dessert. At least ten people should RSVP their plans to attend for the event to occur.
- Consult with Learning Life staff to set a date, time, agenda, and the donation amount per person for your Diplomacy Dessert. We recommend setting aside 2-3 hours: the first hour or so for socializing, 30-60 minutes for presentation and discussion about FDI, and any remaining time for further socializing.
- Send out your Evite, or email invitation to your friends, family and/or colleagues at least two weeks in advance, with 1-2 reminders until the event. The invitation should make clear that this is a fundraiser for Learning Life with a minimum donation per person. We can take care of the email invitation for you via Evite if you like, or provide you with an email template.
- Make or buy whatever desserts or sweets you think your guests will enjoy.
- Enjoy your Diplomacy Dessert! At the appointed time, Learning Life’s founder, Paul Lachelier, will lead the presentation in person in metro DC, or otherwise via Facebook or Skype.
Interested in hosting a Diplomacy Dessert? Contact us at email@example.com.
Thank you for your support!